Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Guess Who Is Behind The Camera ...

Yesterday was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I have lived in the Washington, DC area for nearly 16 years, but have become very immune to Washington as the seat of power and the place where everything happens after all of this time. I pass the White House on a regular basis and rarely pay attention to it like I did when I first came here with my highschool orchestra in 1985 or during my early years living here.

However, one of the great benefits of living in Washington is that you can meet and simply have access to some amazing people. One amazing person that I met last year at an international affairs conference was Ambassador Abdoulaye Diop of Mali. We had an opportunity to chat after one of the morning sessions. I was there as a member of the association that sponsored the conference and as the photographer for the event. We exchanged cards and agreed to stay in touch. Ambassador Diop was very memorable for me. He was a very nice, cordial, elegant, charming man ... NOT stiff like your typical ambassador. I can understand why he was chosen to represent the Republic of Mali in Washington.

Fast forward a year later ... I received a call from Ambassador Diop two Fridays ago asking me if I would like to be the offical photographer for the President of Mali during his visit to Washington. I nearly fell off of my chair, but agreed to take the assignment with pleasure. I had no idea what that would entail until details emerged later.

Well, I will let a few of the pictures tell the story (these are low resolution images so that they can't be stolen):


His Excellency President Amadou Toumani Toure of
the Republic of Mali and President George W. Bush
in the Oval Office


Various members of the press to my right


President Toure presents gifts to President Bush

President Bush and President Toure with his delegation.
Ambassador Diop is third from the right


President Toure and the Deputy Defense Secretary
Gordon England at the Pentagon


A candid moment between President Toure and the
Deputy Secretary of Defense Gordon England


President Toure and Ambassador Diop exit the Pentagon


President Toure and Ambassador Abdoulaye Diop


Me and His ExcellencyPresident Amadou Toumani
Toure of Mali

See how the day unfolded on my website http://www.lisafanningphotography.com/. Look under photojournalism gallery.

You can see a video of the meeting between Presidents Toure and Bush by clicking on this link http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2008/02/20080212-1.html (Note the white diffuser on my flash that is in plain view in the camera at the beginning of the meeting ... ha ha ha)
One of the uber fabulous aspects of this assignment and something that had me tickled throughout the day was that I always knew what was being said by the President of Mali and his delegation long before President Bush/Gordon England or any of the other Americans in the room ... Why? Because I speak French fluently *wink* Tee Hee


P.S. Please refrain from making any overly political commentary on my blog, as it is a public forum (smile). Thanks!






6 comments:

Ida said...

Lisa,

I am very proud of you. Keep up the good work. Sheila Armstead

HRH Princess Buttercup said...

Lisa,

Will you ever cease to amaze?

V.Dianne Marshall

Bruiser said...

Keep doing your thing.

Patience and progression.

Unknown said...

Lisa,

You are amazing! So glad to know that the world is benefiting from your creativity and talent. Keep up the extraordinary work! Warmest wishes, Sylvia Robinson

Unknown said...

Those are Great! I you ever need an assistant or back-up, let me know!

W said...

I looked at your official site, and I love your photos. Absolutely fantastic job, I especially love your urban shots. Keep it up!

~mckay